Martyn Hobbs and Julia Starr Keddle.
Technical data /Description
Commerce is one of the titles in the Oxford English for Careers series which prepares pre-work students for starting their career in different disciplines.
- Commerce provides students with English for a wide range of business situations and develops their telephone and communication skills.
- Commerce 1:
- The '9 to 5' section presents and practises functional and situational language in simple business contexts.
- The 'Business Know-How' section uses engaging activities to develop key interpersonal skills for business, such as teamwork, self-motivation, leadership, and organisation.
- Commerce 2:
- The 'Meeting Room' section presents functional language that students need to interact effectively in formal business scenarios, such as meetings. Listening tasks help students to analyse the interaction, and role-plays allow them to practise the language in meaningful contexts.
- The 'Small Talk' section addresses informal social and conversational 'micro-functions' between colleagues. These are essential for effective communication in a professional environment, and include socializing at work, and making requests and suggestions.